Monday, May 14, 2012

I’m a Sucker for All Things Bamboo


There is just something about bamboo that appeals to me. The material that fits very well with the sculptural work that I make and to the Japanese esthetic that I'm attracted to.

This picture shows some of the different types of bamboo material I have around in my studio. Starting from far left:

  1. These are kendo shinai which I’m going to use for my vase handles.
  2. These two pieces are very special to me. They are remains of a bamboo ikebana vase that’s over 40 years old. I still have to figure out a way to use them.
  3. These are store bought bamboo rods, about ½” dia.
  4. These were given to me by my friend who does Japanese archery (kyudo). They are broken arrow shafts. Very straight and very nice. No wonder they cost a lot!
  5. This is a store bought bamboo pole 1 ¾ dia.
  6. These are bamboo stems from my yard. I repurpose them into handles for my raku vases.

No comments: