Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Paper Clay Masks, Part 2

My newest set of 3 Japanese themed masks on my work bench. Bone dry and ready for bisque firing.

All 3 started from the generic mask "blanks" on the left. I made several of them so I have a supply ready to go when I need them. The demon mask on the far right has a tongue that wiggles! The mask in the middle is my version of Karura, from Japanese Hindu-Buddhist mythology. It has a human body and the face or beak of an eagle.

I'm going to use the same clear crackle raku glaze on these pieces like I've done before. Hopefully, they'll come out as nice as my first batch. Will post them when I have them completed.

3 comments:

Lori Kiplinger Pandy said...

Very cool - especially the wiggly tongue! Nice forms....Thanks for sharing ;-)

Unknown said...

Do you mind me asking how you made the blanks? I'm making a mask out of the same material for a finals project. Were they hand sculpted or made over a styrofoam head?

Anthony Foo said...

HI Zachary,
These blanks were made from a plaster mold from a live model. You can see them on the left side of the photo.