Friday, May 28, 2010

Paper clay and Maquette

Maquettes are small preliminary models that sculptors make to give them an idea of what the larger version will be like.

Most, if not all, of my sculptural works start out as drawings or sketches. Sometimes it is difficult to see how a 2D drawing translates into a 3D form, especially if that shape is complex. Making a miniature model helps me visualize what it will look like. It allows me to foresee any problems in the production of the final version and to make necessary changes to my original design.

Paper clay is a great medium for maquettes. It is very strong in the bone dry greenware stage and is easily repaired if a part breaks off. As long as it has not been fired, I can recycle the paper clay so none is wasted.

Here are some of my concept maquettes in my studio.


No comments: