I made this planter for an upcoming planter show at the Irvine Fine Arts Center out of salvaged ordinary clay. A big hairline crack (from the rim to almost the center of the bowl) developed in the bowl section of the planter when I used too much force to try to reshape the bowl. Paperclay slurry and slip was used for the patch.
It went through bisque fire and the Cone 10 reduction firing without any problems. The repair held up nicely. Another piece rescued with the help of paperclay slip.
The glaze is carbon trap shino. The piece was too large to be dipped so the glazed was brushed on. More glaze was hand drizzled on the bottom part of the piece.
The picture shows the completed planter with the succulents in place, ready for the show!